Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Wild Purple Flowers: Smooth Asters

I find identifying composite flowers difficult, but from my guides, Smooth Asters are the most likely Asters in my area, so that's what I'm guessing these lovely blue-purple prairie wildflowers must be.

Smooth Asters, with blueish-purple ray florets (no, those aren't really petals)
and yellow disk florets (the centre part).  © SB  

Close-up of Smooth Aster's centre disk florets    © SB  

By any name, these Asters are beautiful, and they are great late wildflowers with which to enjoy nature photography. I've found them blooming from July through September around the Condie Nature Refuge, north of Regina, Saskatchewan.


Prairie Wildflower: Smooth Asters
Location: Near Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
Photo Date: August 22, 2014.

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...